Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2019 09:08:31 +0200
From:      Matthias Oestreicher <matthias@smormegpa.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 11.2, X.org, Xfce, and Firefox issues

Am Dienstag, den 30.04.2019, 06:14 +0200 schrieb Polytropon:
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 20:39:14 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> > I have installed FreeBSD on a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.  My goal is to
> > use it as a desktop/ workstation on my SOHO network:
> >
> > root@ragnar-ssd:~ # freebsd-version ; uname -a
> > 11.2-RELEASE-p9
> > FreeBSD ragnar-ssd 11.2-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p9 #0: Tue Feb
> > 5 15:30:36 UTC 2019
> > root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
> >

> > I have also installed:
> >
> > root@ragnar-ssd:~ # pkg info | egrep '^(xorg-7|xfce-|firefox-)'
> > firefox-66.0.2,1               Web browser based on the browser portion
> > of Mozilla
> > xfce-4.12_1                    The "meta-port" for the Xfce Desktop
> > Environment
> > xorg-7.7_3                     X.Org complete distribution metaport
> >

> > When I start Firefox via an Xfce panel shortcut, it starts.  But when I
> > try to browse to a URL, it core dumps and the Firefox window spins
> > attempting to connect to the URL:
> >
> >          root@ragnar-ssd:~ # tail -n 1 /var/log/messages
> >          Apr 29 19:53:03 ragnar-ssd kernel: pid 899 (firefox), uid
> > 13250: exited
> > on signal 11 (core dumped)
> >
> >          2019-04-29 19:55:28 dpchrist@ragnar-ssd ~
> >          $ ll firefox.core
> >          -rw-------  1 dpchrist  dpchrist  127205376 2019/04/29 19:53:03
> > firefox.
> > core
> >

> > When I start Firefox via Terminal:
> >
> > 	2019-04-29 19:46:51 dpchrist@ragnar-ssd ~
> > 	$ firefox
> >
> > 	(firefox:884): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: 19:46:58.095:
> > remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.vfs.HalVolumeMonitor is not
> > supported
>
> Did you install and are you running HAL and DBus? Does your
> /etc/rc.conf at least contain:
>
> 	dbus_enable="YES"
>
> This is the only thing I have added (for a reason I cannot
> remember anymore), but I'm using Fvwm2 + wbar on that system.
>

> > Any suggestions for fixing Firefox?
>
> I'm running firefox-66.0.3_1,1 on a FreeBSD 12.0-p3 system,
> and due to tradition I have added the following to
> /etc/sysctl.conf:
>
> 	kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1
>
> If I remember correctly, Firefox needs this to work.
Only chrome based browsers need this.

If Firefox has stability issues, I check Firefox for updates every day, and usually
after a few days, there is some update that fixes it.

Right now Firefox is at 66.0.3,1

The errors you see are specific to XFCE, but you can ignore them.
The XFCE metapackage installs 'gvfs', though Firefox does neither require gvfs nor Hal
to run.