Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:48:39 +0300
From:      Yonatan Bokovza <Yonatan@xpert.com>
To:        'Maximum' <m-a-x-i-m-u-m@mail.ru>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Trojan injected in my Freebsd 4.1-RELEASE

Hi
<snip>
> Examining logs I had not found any records about visit of
> hacker. Wtmp was cleared 5 hours back from time of created
> hackers scripts.
>
> I'm going not only remove this trojan from my box, but find
> from where attack was made and the way attack was made.
<snip>
> In one of shell script I'm talking about i found copyright
> mark "nrfbsdrk v0.1 by gREMLiNs".

This will translate to "NRF BSD RootKit" in human-speak.
I can't trivially find any information about it, so I'll be happy
if you'll send me a tarball of this offline, for deeper analysis.

It seems from your mail that you don't have any important
information on this server and don't care for it's being hacked,
you just want to learn about the hacker. Having noted that
I won't lead you through the usual path of "newfs this machine
and reinstall from backup". It _is_ however, important to
understand that this machine might pose a threat to the
rest of your network.
Use ifconfig to see if the interfaces are in Promiscuous
mode- meaning your attacker is probably sniffing for more
User-name/Password combos.
Dig around /var/log and see if any program exited with
weird signals, or any other weird behavior that occurred
around 5 hours ago (per the deletion of your wtmp).

There are several very good tools that can help you in
identifying your attacker. Installing ntop from the ports
tree will give you a cool measurement of who is accessing
what IP/ports on your segment. You could use that to
learn what IP access your 50505 port.
Now is probably the time to mention you could use
log_in_vain="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf to have invalid
access to closed ports reported to syslog.
As for security oriented programs you could use snort
to look for malicious network activity, but that's a bit late.
What could really be of interest is something like tripwire
to see what files are accessed by your attacker.

Best Regards,

Yonatan Bokovza
IT Security Consultant
Xpert Systems