Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 21:47:27 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM bogon? Was: Re: NIS breakage

Bruce Evans wrote:
> I duplicated the problem on a 486 configured as a 386.  I used the enclosed
> program to force other processes out to swap (run /usr/bin/vi, then memhog,
> then check that vi has an RSS of 0, then hit a key in vi.  vi always gets
> EFAULT for reading a 255-buye buffer).

I did it here (with Stephen's patch), and I still get the bug in vi.
The various YP bits (in particular portmap) seem pretty stable.

[ The only problem I see in YP (And it is almost certainly not related to
VM) is that I get "rpc.ypxfr timeout"'s whenever I try to push the
maps from the 386 onto my Old-Faithful 486dx. (The timeouts happen
on the 486). I'll report on this in detail in another message ]

> The bug probably also occurs in suword(), susword() and subyte().
>
> susword() and susword() are also buggy on 386's if the [s]word crosses a
> page boundary.

Could this be the problem I am seeing with vi and not with portmap?

> /* memhog.c */

Thanks! This utility is a bit of a bastard to systems ;-)

Mark Murray                PGP key fingerprint = 80 36 6E 40 83 D6 8A 36
This .sig is umop ap!sdn.                        BC 06 EA 0E 7A F2 CE CE