Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:43:23 -0400
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
To:        "'Nik Clayton'" <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: How To's

Ok Nik,

Thanks for the info.

I do think, however, that after all the buzz in the doc mailing list, that
it may be very important to create a new subcategory of documentation.

I don't think it's a good idea to mix the current style of thorough hard
core indepth documentation we have with the how to 'step by step' style.

Steve Roome recently added some valuable comments.  Freebsd needs a category
of documentation that is geared towards the 'oh crap it's broken how do i
get it started again' situation, which currently seems to be non existent.

a new area, possibly just on the web like has been suggested.

even call it

freebsd step by step

or something else if we want to keep away from the mindset of the linux how

or as steve mentioned, have an area where anyone can contrubute anything and
then perhaps a more 'official area' where the contributions have been
reviewed and made sure to be correct, the bottom line is we need some kind
of step by step documentation, and i think to be true to the current
documentation project, it would be bad to mix it in and water down the
current hard core documentation that the super users are accustomed to.

there's my two cents.

I'll let you know when we've got some articles to contribute.  but do
consider opening up a new category of documentation.

Peter Brezny
SysAdmin Services, Inc.