Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:00:39 +0100
From:      Florian Smeets <flo@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        performance@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ULE vs. 4BSD scheduler benchmarks

--------------enigDA54D68EED2466F375203EAC

On 29.01.12 10:50, O. Hartmann wrote:
>=20
> We got a new workstation, two socket 6-core westmere XEON's, I forgot
> the specifications, but they're driven with 2,66 GHz each and have
> access to 96GB RAM. Maybe I can also setup some benchmarks, but I need
> advice since I'm not a kernel GURU.
> The box is prmarily running Linux due to the TESLA/GPGPU stuff we run o=
> it. A colleague of mine developend a software for huge satellite imager=
> correction needed in planetary science, the software is highly scalable=

> (OpenMP) and massively using OpenCL, but using OpenCL could be switched=

> off. We are not interested in database performance, but more in HPC
> stuff and scientific calculations. I guess we could provode also some
> benchmark results after a proper setup for the workload. Since this box=

> in question is also running a Linux Ubuntu 11.04 server, I would be
> interesting having a comparison to that.
>=20

What you could do to help is you could give mav's latest ULE patches a
try with your workload and could measure stock ULE vs. the patched one.

http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/sched.htt40.patch

I have tested it on head, it does apply to 9-STABLE, but i haven't tried
to compile or run with it, but i think it should work.

Florian