Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 14:58:53 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Dom Mitchell <dom@phmit.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS problems...

> On 1 December 1998, "Crist J. Clark" proclaimed:
> > Dom Mitchell wrote,
> > > % grep /home /etc/fstab
> > > admin:/export/home      /home           nfs     rw,-i,-3,-T     0	0
> > [snip]
> > > It's running on a 100BaseT switched network to a Solaris 2.6 server.
> >
> > Should you be using the '-T' flag with the Solaris server?
>
> I don't see why not.  NFSv3 is supposed to use tcp AFAIK.

Rubbish.  Definitely try using TCP mounts here; there's empirical
evidence that tends to indicate that when working with Solaris servers
there's a reasonable chance of either dropping response packets or
having response packets "lost" in some other fashion.

> > > I realise that this isn't enough to go on for solving the problem.  What
> > > other things can I try when the /home mount gets hung again?  Can I
> > > force a crash dump to take a closer look?
> >
> > Can you 'umount -f admin:/export/home'?
>
> Naw, it just hung saying "server not responding" again.  :-(
>
> I've managed to cure my problems by  switching back to nfsv2 and turning
> off the new access cache, in the meantime.

Since the access cache only affects v3 mounts, turning it off really
just amounts to the waving of a dead chicken here.