Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:56:31 -0800
From:      Robert <Incoded@MyRealbox.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   I am a newbie

My name is Robert. I am 13 and I want to use a bsd distro because=
 my of best friend uses it and he says you can really get into it=
 deeper than any closed OS like Windows and its stability is=
 greater than any other OS in the world. He likes worshiping BSD=
 and wrote this cool program that helps my Dad at home so he can=
 work but stay home with my brother who is sick very sick with=
 cancer.  Well I am in high school and I would like to do=
 something with BSD for my high school project and impress the=
 whole school with how deep I can get into your OS by controlling=
 a robot or making an interface like the one my friend made for=
 programming a simple robot.  None of my other freinds in school=
 even know about UNIX or BSD or any of tat enough to be what my=
 friend Ean calls himself -a purist. He says to love BSD alone=
 and seperate it from the rest of the pack you have to be a=
 purist.  I am no sure totally what he means by OS purism? What=
 does it mean to be a purist and like BSD so much because of this=
 belief? Also I was checking out BSD on the web at the OS world=
 and I dont get something. I dont get why you guys call your OS=
 FREEBSD when OPENBSD is free as well. I just dont see why there=
 is two different OS's here within BSD. What is the difference.=
 Which one should I get into. I am not interested in starting a=
 huge company or anything like my Dad who needs one network over=
 seas and another in the US and another somewhere else for the=
 oversight people and some huge linkup to space for something he=
 does with the satellites. I just want to see what makes Unix so=
 special and powerful and not crash ever you know? Maybe get=
 religious about it.  Maybe i want to use it for school to and=
 maybe later hack with it and be like Ean. Oh yea Ean doesn'y=
 work for my Dad anymore. He just goes around all by himself=
 working for whever he chooses. He is so cool companies try to=
 bribe him into employment all the time and he turns everyone=
 down so that he can work by himself in freedom. How cool is=
 that?  But I lost  contact. He comes around but not enough for=
 me to get help I need help now. Please?  Will you guys write=
 back to me so I dont have to do something stupid and get=
 involved with an OS I dont want to and get lost in thte wrong=
 thingz?............Robert, Hillsboro OR USA