Date:      07 Jun 2002 10:08:19 -0400
From:      Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Orinoco cards in RF Monitor mode

I was able to use dwepdump (from dachb0den) on an orinoco gold card
purchased last summer, I think with firmware 7.12.  I used prism2ctl
to set monitor mode, and got undecrypted 802.11 frames stored in
tcpdump format.  I'm sure, because I decrypted them with rc4 and the
key (that I already knew), and got valid data back (but didn't check
the crc).  I am also seeing beacon, probe response, etc.  Now, it may
be that the format of the monitored data is different; I was munging
tcpdump as I went to do this.  So, the thing to do is:

  get the dachb0den stuff
  apply their kernel patches if they aren't already included
  read the dwepdump/dwepcrack instructions
  set monitor with 'prism2ctl -m' (I think)
  use tcpdump, or dwepdump to capture

You'll then have a tcpdump-format file that has monitor-mode frames
(rather than the Ethernet frames tcpdump normally produces on wi0).

        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>