Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 11:05:24 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.mt.net>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW (was: Re: -stable hangs at boot)

In message <199602261926.MAA00360@rocky.sri.MT.net> Nate wrote:
>I'm not sure I could
>see the need for filtering differently for incoming vs. outgoing (except
>in the case of syn. packets).

You can prevent many IP spoofing attacks by disallowing packets with IP source
addresses that match your internal network addresses from coming in your
external connection (e.g. Xerox does

access-list N deny 13.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any

on its incoming interface on the Cisco)

>That reminds me.  I haven't looked yet, but does the new code also
>filter out routing information?  The old code didn't (and other firewall
>code I have used does).

Sorry, this doesn't make much sense to me -- shouldn't "filtering routing
information" just be another firewall rule?  Seems like policy to me.

  Bill