Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 06:41:05 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vat on sb16?

Luigi Rizzo:
 |> Regarding the SB16 full-duplex issue, (yes I'm an e-mail pack-rat :-),
 |> Would one or the other of these two be practical to implement in our sound
 |> drivers?  The latter sounds like it might be completely transparent to the
 |
 |why one should do that since mss cards (based on the OPTi931, or
 |some other AD1884-type codec) are sold for US$30 here (that's
 |including 19% VAT!) and they support full duplex.

Well, its the most common class of card out there.  I wonder how many users
would switch over (or start off with) FreeBSD for doing their Internet
phone and audio conferencing (Speak Freely, vat, etc.) if we supported
their hardware in full-duplex.  I could be wrong, but I think SB16+ owners
are currently locked into MS Windoze for this; if I were them, I'd sure be
looking for a way out :-)  So, an opportunity to win over more users.

It'd be a nice feature for the existing user base too, if it isn't
technically impractical.

Randall