Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 20:23:54 -0400
From:      Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctl to disable reboot

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 03:48:16PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

> : I thought it would be useful to have a sysctl for disabling the
> : keyboard reboot sequence.  This functionality is currently
> : available through the SC_DISABLE_REBOOT config option, but it's
> : convenient to have this capability available at runtime, too.
>
> How is this different than loading a keyboard map that doesn't have
> reboot/halt in them?

For some reason, I never considered that option.  While it makes
sense (in hindsight), it certainly doesn't sound like the most
direct approach to solving this problem (well, it's not really a
problem, but you get the idea).

In addition, I prefer my approach here because it's a single,
known toggle that doesn't involve messing with other parts of the
system.  I might just want to disable keyboard rebooting
temporarily.  This seems like the most intuitive way to do so.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology