Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 21:08:38 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: sio aware pnp driver and resource conflict detection

>well... I was wondering if people would like for me to import my changes
>to make sio a PnP aware driver...  I would provide a PnP flag that
>would prevent the card from being probed...
>
>but if I do import this code, I will need to add a temporary fix to
>the resource system to search attached pnp devices for resource
>conflicts...  (prevent the modem from being attached twice which
>does happen and causes wierd results)...
>
>currently the pnp system doesn't prevent you from doing stupid things
>like configuring two pnp cards to colid with each other...  and I could
>possibly fix this before the snap comes out...
>
>comments?

I am currently working on extending `moused', `psm', `mse', etc to
support modern mice such as MS IntelliMouse.

To this end `moused' need to know the type of mouse so that data
stream from the mouse can be correctly decoded.

I have added a piece of code to `moused' to probe the specified serial
port in order to determine the type of mouse by decoding PnP ID string
if available. But, because there are so many mice, old and new, which
do not support the PnP COM device specification, `moused' has to
assume that a mouse is present at the user-specified port anyway. In
this case the user must explicitly supply `moused' with the type of
mouse.

(In 3.0-CURRENT and 2.2-STABLE the user must always tell the type of
mouse to `moused'.)

Snapshot of my work is found in

	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/mouse.tar.gz

I can send you more recent code if you ask me.

Because of the above, I am very much interested in the integral
support for PnP serial devices in FreeBSD either at the kernel level
or the user-land level.

>From the viewpoint of mouse support, I would note the followings:

1. As I have stated, there are so many serial mice which just do not
   support PnP spec.  Moreover, even if a mouse does support the spec,
   the degree of conformance to the spec varies widely from one mouse
   to another. It is my finding that some mice conform earlier draft
   of the spec and it may not give a valid ID string or may not respond to
   enumeration procedure at all if you strictly follow the current PnP COM
   device specification ver1.0 (28 Feb 95)! Beware.
2. If serial PnP support is built in at the kernel level, it would mean
   that now kernel level serial mouse driver will be possible. This is
   great. But, we need to solve two problems:
   a. How we can support non-PnP mice with this kernel level serial mouse
      driver?
   b. Does such driver have to include its own serial I/O code?

Comments?

Kazu