Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/34587: Adding Feedback on the issue

The following reply was made to PR docs/34587; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To: Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 05:00:19 +0200

 On 2002-02-04 08:40, Tom Rhodes wrote:

 > <command>boot <replaceable>kernel.old</replaceable></command>
 >
 > I just do not really agree with this line, should whitespace be in the
 > actual tags, I think someone pointed out to me that no whitespace should
 > exsist here.  Something better would be:
 >
 > <command>boot</command> <replaceable>kernel.old</replaceable> or maybe

 The SGML markup is not a way to describe the 'format' of a document.
 It is though something we (as in 'we the SGML fans of the universe')
 use to denote the 'structure' of a document.

 If you convert the initial SGML to a tree-like structure you'll get:

 	(outter
 	  (command
 	    "boot"
 	    (whitespace)
 	    (replaceable "kernel.old")))

 The second one will be converted to:

 	(outter
 	  (command "boot")
 	  (whitespace)
 	  (replaceable "kernel.old"))

 The first rendering of the SGML entity clearly denotes that
 <replaceable> is a "part of <command>".

 What you suggest, looks a lot like what a user that reads the text on
 screen would do to mark up documents using a WYSIWIG editor.  But you
 can't tell the computer that the <replaceable> entity is a part of the
 <commmand> tag if you use this form of marking up documents.  Then you
 have lost part of the structural information that the original SGML
 markup shows :(

 Structure *is* important.  Imagine an SGML parser that will swallow
 the entire doc/ tree and look for complete <command> entities, and
 spit out a shell script that has ALL the examples of the docs, ready
 to be copy-pasted to a shell prompt.  If you break the structure of
 the entities, and <replaceable> is no longer a part of the original
 <command> tag, then there is no way for the tool I described to know
 where in the text of the document the parameters of the command are.

 --
 Giorgos Keramidas . . . . . . . . . keramida@{ceid.upatras.gr,freebsd.org}
 FreeBSD Documentation Project . . . http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/