Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:34:30 -0800
From:      Michael Bryan <fbsd-secure@ursine.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Subject:   Re: [COVERT-2001-01] Multiple Vulnerabilities in BIND -  FreeBSDImplications ?

Matt Dillon wrote:

>     Ok, I'm really confused now.  I am currently running 8.2.3-T6B.
>
>     Do I need to upgrade or am I ok?

You need to upgrade.  The ISC web site has a good list of all known
BIND vulnerabilities and which versions are affected for each one:

http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html

In particular, the info on the "TSIG" vulnerability says that all beta
versions of 8.2.3 are vulnerable.  Since 8.2.3-T6B is a beta version, it
is therefore vulnerable.

>  If I need to upgrade, is the patch
>  in the tree now or do I need to wait?

I believe the latest message from Kris was that 4.x-STABLE has the updated
BIND integrated, and 3.x-STABLE should be updated by tomorrow.  If you update
via the bind8 port instead, it has also been updated for 8.2.3.  The bind8
port puts files in a different location than the BIND files from the base
system install, so be careful if you do that, especially making sure your
/etc/rc.conf will start the correct version.

The prebuilt packages directory at freebsd.org still had just 8.2.2-p7, as far
as I could tell, but that will presumably change over the next day or two.

Or you -could- just download 8.2.3 directly from ISC (www.isc.org), and install
it that way.  Some files might end up in slightly different directories, but
I believe that's the only impact you'll see (although somebody is sure to pipe
up if I'm wrong on that one.)