Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:22:45 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I Can Has Packages?

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:38:33 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> I always keep saying the ideal
> situation would be that you could customise and compile just your own
> really mission critical software and freely mix that with installing
> pre-compiled packages of anything else from the public repositories.

To be honest, that's what I'm doing for many years now. I
tend to compile only those ports where it is either required
in order to obtain the software because no suitable package
does exist (e. g. OpenOffice), or because I intendedly want
to have access to compile-time options (e. g. mplayer), which
can also apply when specific optimization is needed in order
to get something into a usable state on older hardware. For
everything else, packages are fine. Mixing those forms (and
maybe assuming that ports can be either handled by the
native "make method" or one of the port management tools
such as portmaster) is possible. Of course you have to think
first, then do, but I assume it's not needed mentioning. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany