Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 00:42:37 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Victor Ivanov" <v0rbiz@icon-bg.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ports upgrade [was Package Vulnerability scanner...]

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Victor Ivanov wrote:
>
> > Hi and sorry, this message is not related to security
>
> So it should have gone to -ports. Don't send off-topic messages.
>
> > I have updated the ports collection and the 3.5 stable base source,
tar-ed
> > everything and then use it to upgrade a newly installed 3.4-release to
> > 3.5-stable. But the pm3 port was the old 1.1.13 and cvsup depended on
> > 1.1.14 (on the newest ports collection). Now I have to download 20
> > megabytes just for this reason: 'Upgrade to pm3-1.1.14. This eliminates
> > 103 patch files. :-)'

Why not use cvsup-bin from the ports collection?  It's a pre-packaged,
statically-compiled version of cvsup which is 1.5 MB to download.  This will
save you the agony of downloading and building the huge pm3 port all for one
shared library which cvsup requires (and which you'll probably never use for
anything else).

--
Matthew Emmerton
GSI Computer Services