Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 00:48:12 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        paradive <james@enfect.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing CD packages to HD?

Hello paradive;
> > > I believe the 4.0-RELEASE cdrom was equally damaged. Personally, I
> > > *hate* this. Since I build ports with LOCALBASE=/usr/opt, the packages
> > > are useless. Since the distfiles can be used to create the packages,
> > > but not vice versa, this is a loss in functionality.  My use of the
> > > things is now restricted to dealing with -questions (as above), and
> > > making copies for friends who otherwise wouldn't look at FreeBSD.
> >
> > Look at the -p (prefix) option of pkg_add. You can change the install
> directory
> > there.
>
> is there a way to do this with "make" using ports as well?

From the handbook (rtfm ;-) ):

 Q: Does the ports scheme only work if you have everything in
   /usr/ports? My system administrator says I must put everything under
   /u/people/guests/wurzburger, but it does not seem to work.

   A: You can use the PORTSDIR and PREFIX variables to tell the ports
   mechanism to use different directories. For instance,
    # make PORTSDIR=/u/people/guests/wurzburger/ports install

   will compile the port in /u/people/guests/wurzburger/ports and install
   everything under /usr/local.
    # make PREFIX=/u/people/guests/wurzburger/local install

   will compile it in /usr/ports and install it in
   /u/people/guests/wurzburger/local.

   And of course,
    # make PORTSDIR=../ports PREFIX=../local install

   will combine the two (it is too long to write fully on the page, but
   it should give you the general idea).

   If you do not fancy typing all that in every time you install a port,
   it is a good idea to put these variables into your environment. Read
   the man page for your shell for instructions on doing so.

Regards
Siegbert