Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 1995 21:52:01 -0400
From:      "Danny J. Zerkel" <dzerkel@feephi.phofarm.com>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: too many sig 11's

> > I've had a lot of problems with sig 11s again in 2.0.5-ALPHA...  Some
> > things won't even execute (e.g., ftp, troff).  Others die during execution
> > sometimes (during make of kernel).  At this point, I'm so frustrated I
> > don't even know what to look for.  Any help?
>
> You may have a trashed kernel.  During the bin install, how many pieces
> does it say it's getting?
>
> 					Jordan

I've rebuilt the kernel (typing make MANY times and rm any *.o that resulted
from a sig 11'd cc).  And it still happens.  The bin install complained BIG
time.  Many "skipping to next header" messages.  It looks like it is having
a problem with untarring.  "cat bin.* | tar tzf -" dies at different places
each time I try it.  Same for sgames.* and sgnu.*...  It's possible that I
have something set wrong in the kernel I built, but it is impossible for me
to tell (the LINT file is like having only the even numbered pages of a book).
And I can't tell if the differences between LINT and GENERIC mean anything.

As an example of the present wierdness: /usr/bin/ftp dumps core immediately
and /stand/ftp works fine.

Danny J. Zerkel
Photon Farmers