Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:10:04 -0400
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@freebsd.org>
To:        asami@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Large Port Builds

Do we have, or have we considered adding "notices" to ports that take a
large amount of time and/or disk space to build to the Makefile?  For
instance, the new java/jdk12-beta port can take up to 250MB of disk
space to build.  I want to see huge ports like this availible, but at
the same time, I remember a time when I was running FreeBSD on an old
486, and a port like this would have taken days to build, not to
mention, half my hard drive.

I'd like to suggest that we add two items to either pkg-descr or the
Makefile:
BUILD_SIZE=	rough size of space needed to complete build and install
(i.e. maximum size)
INSTALLED_SIZE=	rough size of final space need to install (i.e. package
size)

Then modify the make routines to determine from the BUILD_DEPENDS and
RUN_DEPENDS how much space you will need to complete this build based on
what you still need to install.

Does this make sense?  Should we (I) do it?

--
Patrick