Date:      Sun, 09 Apr 2000 19:28:15 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How hard would it be...

... to get FreeBSD to boot off a BSD partition that wasn't labeled as
0xa5?  I'm looking for a way to create a disk that a certain picky
BIOS will like and boot off of, and I think I have to create it with a
certain ID and then it will be happy.  I suspect that it involves
hacking the boot blocks, the boot loader and the kernel's idea of the
BSD partition number in disk*subr.c.  Are there other things that are
needed?  I may be barking up the wrong tree in trying to get around
this BIOS's pickiness, but I thought I'd at least ask.

Yes, this is for a well-known, cheap internet device, which shall
remain nameless. I've already OPENed mine up.  a real lookER.

Warner