Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:07:59 -0500
From:      James Snow <snow@teardrop.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd acting weird, not logging, large receive queues?

Ok, what I've ascertained here is that the stock syslogd just can't
handle large amounts of log entries coming in very quickly. It kills
itself trying to resolve the source hostname on each datagram.

I solved my problem in the short term by passing -n to syslogd on the
command line and changing my syslog.conf from using hostnames to using
IP addresses.

I'm now looking at syslogd-ng in the ports tree.

I guess my logging needs/requirements are a bit out of the ordinary. :)

-Snow