Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:33:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Dave Hazelton <hazeltod@enc.edu>
Subject:   full file system:  df and du disagree - why?

Howdy,

I just had a rogue print job fill up my /var file system.  As expected, df
reported negative free space.  I deleted the offending 41 meg spool-file
(it was a /var/spool/samba/printq file, not an lpd spool file, in case it
matters) and to my amazement, df still showed the same amount of negative
free space!

A 'du -ks /var' showed that only 11 out of 60 megs were in use, so I
_knew_ that there was plenty of free space.  But, df didn't think so, and
the kernel apparantly didn't think so either, as writes to /var still
produced a filesystem full error.

So, two questions:  What's really going on here? -and- How can I smack the
kernel back into reality without rebooting (which is what I ended up
doing)?

BTW, this is on a 2.1.6-RELEASE (+ Netatalk patches) system.

Thanks,
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx