Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 15:04:42 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.org, nato-ws@ripe.net, t12@psg.com
Subject:   IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

<<On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:40:37 +0100 (BST), Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com> said:

> 4. If you 'ifconfig down' an interface, then set up a default route via
> another interface, you still cannot ping the range of IP numbers which the
> original interface covered - presumably the kernel still tries to send them
> via the (downed) interface.

> 7. The output of netstat -nr shows the arp cache as well as actual routes,
> which is confusing.

There is no difference.  The ARP cache entries /are/ actual routes.
This is the cause of the phenomenon you noted under (4).  If you
really want to make an interface's address and routes go away, you
must actually delete that address from the interface with `ifconfig
xxx delete'.  The IFF_UP flag is really just a hint; most interfaces
don't actually check it and refuse to send.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick