Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 2003 12:40:31 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Andy Fawcett <andy@athame.co.uk>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, kde@FreeBSD.org, alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] koffice broken on alpha

Andy Fawcett wrote:
> On Saturday 04 January 2003 13:25, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/alpha-5-latest/koffice-1.2,1.log
>
> Looks like a limitation of the tools on alpha, from the two lines:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: .libs/libkwordpart_la.all_cc.o: .got subsegment \
>         exceeds 64K (size 66552)
> /usr/bin/ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: No such file \
>         or directory
>
> Kris, we've seen this one before somewhere, and we resolved it by
> disabling KDE's "--enable-final" for Alpha builds. AlanE will probably
> be able to tell you where it was better than I can guess ;)

Yes; it was my patch for kdenetwork3:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=38462+0+archive/2002/freebsd-alpha/20021013.freebsd-alpha

Someone made it conditional on being the Alpha compile.  This is
actually a stupid thing to do, since it's going to be a problem
on all 64 bit platforms, which means Alpha, SPARC64, and IA64.  I
pointed this out before, but was ignored last time, by showing that
the problem comes from the conversion from 32 bit to 63 bit pointers,
which bumps up the size of every symbol from 4 bytes to 8 bytes.

The same patch will work for the koffice port.

If you can, try to fix the SPARC64 and IA64 and Alpha all at the
same time, instead of just fixing the Alpha, like the person who
hacked my patch before it was committed against kdenetwork3.

You probably want to add the same thing to any kde code where the
.got exceeds 48K, as a prophylactic measure.

Thanks,
-- Terry