Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:57:19 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Lost my original /sbin/dset -q values

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > dset(8) writes directly into the kernel.  Of course, if your /kernel
> > and /kernel.GENERIC are hard-linked, it's no surprise that ``both''
> > kernels are affected.  (Huh, Jordan?  We shouldn't hardlink them at
> > installation time!)
>
> It's either that or simply `mv' it since most folks don't budget space
> for more than one image, especially "kitchen sink" ones like GENERIC.
> Would you prefer I just move it?

Hmm, no.  People who are tight in space could remove it themselves,
should they prefer.  I'm always keeping a `standard' kernel around,
and i rather rely on this being an unmodified one, so i can boot off
it in case of emergency.  (Heck, i also did this previously with Data
General workstations.  They also left the /dgux.starter around there
unmodified, this was a good way to recover from a damaged regular
/dgux file.)  I think i'm not the only one.

--
cheers, J"org