Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:58:41 +0100
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot2: -972 bytes available; build error. wtf?

Howdy,

This is a problem I've encountered some times now when building world,
I've already posted about this but did not get any responses, so I'll
just try again with further information:
Situation: fresh, updated /usr/src, empty /usr/obj, FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
built Dec 4 2001.

Whenever I do buildworld it goes well until it comes to compile
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2. There it bails with the following errors:

btxld -v -E 0x1000 -f bin -b
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2/../btx/btx/btx -l boot2.ldr  -o
boot2.ld -P 1 boot2.bin
kernel: ver=1.01 size=740 load=9000 entry=9010 map=16M pgctl=1:1
client: fmt=bin size=188c text=0 data=0 bss=0 entry=0
output: fmt=bin size=21cc text=200 data=1fcc org=0 entry=0
-972 bytes available
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2.

cd'ing to /usr/src7sys/i386/boot2 and issuing a make results in the same
errors (obviously). So I've no idea why this could be, the error message
message "-972 bytes available" is kinda cryptic, doesn't tell my any-
thing.

In the past, I've had this error, but somehow it randomly appeared and
disappeared, otherwise I would not have been able to build world.

Has anyone an idea about this, or can anyone give me a hint?

Help appreciated.

thanks and regards
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos