Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2012 21:39:09 +0200
From:      Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>
To:        Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs remove vdev functionality

On Nov 8, 2012, at 7:49 PM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg> wrote:

> I was thinking on how to implement vdev removal on ZFS and came to =
this idea:
>=20
> If we can have an per-vdev flag that prohibits new allocations on the =
vdev, but permits reads and frees - then we could mark so  the vdev we =
intend to remove form the zpool and issue an scrub-like command that =
will rewrite all blocks allocated form that particular vdev. Since ZFS =
is COW, this will effectively move all blocks off that "no write" vdev =
and we can now detach it.
>=20
> All this could be implemented with the new ZFS feature flags, so no =
version bumps etc are necessary.
>=20
> Is there something I didn't think of?
>=20
> Daniel

I don't think this will be that easy, because of snapshots, clones etc.
There was a project that you are probably aware of called BP Rewrite =
(block pointer rewrite),
that was interrupted by Sun-Oracle merger. It very well may be still =
being worked on in Sun, who knows :)
The closest thing to your idea that I seem to find is this : =
https://www.illumos.org/issues/1051

Cheers,
Nikolay=