Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:57:45 -0700
From:      William Carrel <william.carrel@infospace.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>, Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: raidframe

On 6/10/02 6:07 PM, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:

> David O'Brien wrote:
>> You quite speak for yourself.  I've seen the FreeBSD community more split
>> 50%-50% in their love-hate of Vinum.  Many of us still use ccd(4) because
>> Vinum did not meet our needs.
>
> Alfred Perlsteing claims "Vinum comes from the universe where Spock
> has a beard" (sorry, Greg!).

Haha. :)  I've had a similar love-hate relationship with vinum.

>> Scott Long had just about ported RAIDframe to FreeBSD, when the bits got
>> lost in a disk crash.  So the rumor goes.
>
> In any case, it's not like an obscene amount of work had to have
> been invested by Scott Long to make the thing work, so duplicating
> it is not tantamount to searching for The Rosetta Stone.

I still have Scott's work against -STABLE, I located a few bugs while he was
working on it.  I have a set of diffs that I maintain for servers here that
runs under RELENG_4_5.  In fact they also boot root off raidframe:
/dev/raid0a   498M   230M   227M    50%    /
/dev/raid1e    47G    22G    21G    52%    /usr

I have had the time to see if they still work on the mainline stable branch,
but I can probably bring them up-to-date.  I've been meaning to merge in
some of the more recent changes to raidframe from the NetBSD camp.

Feel free to drop me a line and I'll let you poke at the patches, they seem
pretty stable, I could always submit them as a PR too, but I shudder to
think of the sort of flaming that would incur.

--
William Carrel | Sr. Systems Engineer | william.carrel@infospace.com
InfoSpace INC  601 108th Ave NE | Suite 1200  | Bellevue, WA 98004