Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:32:18 +0100
From:      Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   patches and uname -a

Hello.

Please also answer to my mailbox as I'm not on the list.

After upgrading by sources and build world, uname correctly
reports the current version of the system

Today for the first time I applied all the relevant patches
instead and all went well. The box was 5.3-RELEASE-p23.

The applied patches should correspond to 5.3-RELEASE-p24, but:

# uname -r
5.3-RELEASE-p23

and:

# sysctl kern.version
kern.version: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p23 #0: Tue Jan  3 15:40:08 CET 2006

I'd like to be able to see the correct version using
'uname -r'..

Does anybody know how can you make uname report the
real version? What if you recompile the kernel after
patching the system? Would that do the trick?

Thank you and best regards.
--
Robi