Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:38:20 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@siralan.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting gvinum/vinum with RAID 5 and Compaq 39160 - 5.3-STABLE

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 14:29 -0500, Michael L. Squires wrote:
> I've been playing with vinum and gvinum with a RAID-1 boot setup (now
> abandoned, hardware RAID was $29 - SM P4DC6+ with Adaptec 2005S) and with
> a RAID5 array using a Compaq version of the Adaptec 39160 card.
>
> I've found that only "geom_vinum_load="YES" works in order to get the RAID
> 5 array mounted at boot time; "vinum_load" with or without
> "vinum.autostart" doesn't work.  (Doesn't work means that the boot fails
> when /dev/vinum/raid can't be mounted as per /etc/fstab, and I have to
> execute "vinum" before I can mount it while running single user after the
> crash).
>
> I've seen one other message that "vinum_load" didn't work for one other
> 5.3-R user, but I don't know if we both made the same mistake or if
> something else is wrong.

For 5.3-STABLE you should be using geom_vinum.  That means having
'geom_vinum_load="YES"' in /boot/loader.conf; /dev/gvinum/raid...
in /etc/fstab (in your case); and using gvinum for userland control, not
vinum.  The vinum /etc/rc.conf knobs are not applicable to geom_vinum.

Mixing vinum and gvinum is not recommended.  If you just want a RAID-1
boot setup, you might consider geom_mirror instead.

Cheers,

Paul.
--
e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu