Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 95 12:17:59 CDT
From:      laufen@sol.med.ge.com (Derek Laufenberg  x7-4534)
To:        questions@freebsd.org, leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Subject:   Re: NE2000 on 2.0

> I finally got freebsd running on a PC (I installed it on the
> main drive on another PC, I have two PCs, one running Linux
> with 2Gigabytes of disk, and I want a simpler one to run
> freebsd...
>
> Both machines have NE2000 Linksys clones...no problem with linux...
>
> However, I've had nothing but grief with freebsd...
>
> I have ed1 mapped to interrupt 4/port 0x300 (this works with linux)
> [I used the boot loader -c option)
>
> and get:
>
> ed1: device timeout (consistently)

Sounds like the IRQ or port is not getting set right.  Are you
sure setting it correctly with the -c?  What type of card is it and
how did you initially set the IRQ and port of the card?

Does a lsdev show ed1?

To get my NE2000 clone to work I had to set the irq & port on the
card via some DOS software and use the -c option to config the
kernel.

> ip is working (I can ping localhost)
> but I can't:
> 	ping a remote host
> 	ping the bsd machine from a remote host...
>
> I also want to install a cross-compiling environment on linux
> to make freebsd executables...and kernels...
>

> marty		leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
> Member of the League for Programming Freedom (http://www.lpf.org)
> Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
>         Arthur C. Clarke, The Lost Worlds of 2001

Good luck,

Derek Laufenberg
laufen@sol.med.ge.com