Date:      12 Jul 1998 12:25:37 -0400
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CAM Install (fwd)

Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee> writes:

> On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Doug White wrote:
> > And your problem is ... ?
>
> Same problem as in the forwarded message. I have read instructions, very
> carefully and several times again. First CAM boot floppy gives me a page
> fault while probing SCSI devices. Justin explains this is a known problem
> with older version of boot floppy. Following Justin suggestion I have
> grabbed new boot image, but now other problem appears. For that problem I
> haven't found answer yet and other peoples with same problem ask answer
> from me. My feel is bad because I don't know answer and seems nobody cares
> about that. Are there something which you don't understand ?

>From this, I can't tell what the problem might be.  If you can't
explain the problem clearly and briefly, you are not likely to get
help.

Please remember, none of us are being paid to answer questions.  I
answer them if I have time that day, if I know the answer offhand, and
if answering the question doesn't require too much work.

In this group, I *read* the question if it is likely that I will know
the answer from the subject line, and there are not too many postings.

FWIW, I managed to hose my disk the other day.  I had to do a complete
reinstall of -current and CAM.

I installed the 98.05.20 -current, used the boot floppies I downloaded
from incomming a while back (I looked, they seemed to be still there,
the same ones, so I didn't download new ones).  Installed the kernel
from the 2nd floppy in fixit mode, rebooted with -a, downloaded CAM,
and built the world.  Created a new kernel config, and built a kernel.

Only problem was when I forgot to include a mouse in my kernel: X
didn't want to work.  Easily (if slowly) fixed.

In any case, all of this was posted either to -questions or -current
when I first installed.

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?
Please read this first: <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com        <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;