Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 12:21:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        Toby Norris <TobyN@sysdac.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports and package installation problems

Toby Norris wrote:

> I have the version 2.2.1 CD.  I have copied the entire CD to my
> hard disk and installed FreeBSD from a DOS partition.  None of the
> ports or packages will install.  In fact, when I look in the packages
> directory on the CD I see a bunch of tarballs with zero size.  What's
> going on.  No where on the CD can I find any /usr/ports/distfiles
> directory. When I installed FreeBSD I told it to give me everything
> under the sun, but still the /usr/local/distfiles directory is empty.

I'm going to make an assumption about what you're doing: You can't see your
CD-ROM from FreeBSD, so you:

- boot under DOS
- copy the relevant packages tarballs to your DOS hard-drive
- reboot under FreeBSD
- mount your DOS partition (mount -r -t msdos /dev/wd<whatever> /mnt) , and
- copy/install the packages from the DOS partition.

I used to do just that when FreeBSD couldn't recognize my CD-ROM.  If
that's correct, make sure you copy the packages files from the "All"
subdirectory on the CD-ROM.  Every other subdirectory contains a symbolic
link to the corresponding file in the "All" directory--but symbolic links
don't mean anything to DOS, so they're copied as zero-length files.

> Also, is there a decent X windows manager available; one that at least
> gives scroll bars?

Scroll bars are typically a function of the application (e.g., xterm) not
the window manager.  To get scroll bars in an xterm, use the `-sb' and
`-sl' command-line options (or their corresponding X resources).  `man
xterm' for more information.

-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
Cloning is the sincerest form of flattery.