Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 21:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BigTime FreeBSD vs...

> Drew Mouton <drew@etool.com> wrote:
> >Would someone mind sharing some info as far as how the big companies are
> >dealing with performance/availability/redundancy issues?

There are a zillion reasons why you'd want to try each of these Unixs
out and decide for yourself.  Some of the things you might find are:

* Solaris has the easiest installation, best patching software
  (sunsolve.sun.com/sunsolve/patchdiag/), best disk RAID (with ODS and
  VXVM) and best all-around technical support (24*7 phone support and
  sunsolve1.sun.com).  It is also the most expensive and most likely to
  support commercial application X.  A half dozen administrators can
  easily manage 500 clients, 1,000 users, dozens of applications,
  software and hardware running Solaris and do it far easier than on
  any other Unix, probably any other OS, IMHO.

* FreeBSD has a lot of features, especially security features, that
  nobody else has.  The price is right.  You can recommend it for
  production environments.  The mailing lists at freebsd.org are great
  for technical questions (unless you need help at 1am).  The packages
  are fantastic.  On the other hand there are a lot of poorly written
  packages that spray files all over the filesystem and are simply not
  well written.  FreeBSD really needs an integrated patch
  database/utility.

  The main gripe I have against FreeBSD and Linux vs. Solaris is
  backwards compatibility.  Sun upgrades are almost always a piece of
  cake. (we're still using software compiled 5 years ago!)  FreeBSD
  upgrades, on the other hand, breaks a substantial number of things
  with each upgrade.  The price of being on the cutting edge I
  suppose.

* Linux supports the developer / hacker community like no other Unix.
  This is great when you need to compile the latest cool tool but not
  generally worth the administrative hassle for servers or large
  environments (again, in my experience only).

Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.

Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting
http://www.roble.com/