Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 14:57:45 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   USFS (User Space File System)

I am looking at a project that will require a user based process to interact
with the system as if  it were a filesystem.  The traditional way I have seen
this done is as the system NFS mounting itself (ala AMD).  I would really like
a more clean approach to this.  What I am interested in is a 'User Space
File System' that would interact with a user process in a similiar manor
to how nfsd's do.  A process would issue a mount (ok, this is different than
NFSDs), then it would make a special system call with a structure, that
call would return whenever a request was pending with the structure filled in
with the appropriate information.  The user process would fulfill the request,
pack the return data into the structure and call kernel again.

I have a number of questions on more specific ideas (like caching, inode/vnode
interaction, etc).  But I am just feeling arround for what people think
about this.  Any ideas/comments?

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Systems Administrator/Research Programmer | Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd