Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:23:18 -0700
From:      Frank Jahnke <frank.jahnke@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Evolution Issues

I have been using Evolution since version 1.1.99, and am trying to
consolidate email messages from disparate computers into once place. I've
run into a number of problems and I have had difficulty finding answers in
the usual places. So I ask them here, as the BSD Forum readers seemed no to
know any of the answers.

1. Does Evolution have a future on FreeBSD (or elsewhere)? I know that
Gnome 2 support is winding down, and I've been using Mate mostly with
success. Is Evolution too is fading, so that my time would best be used
with another POP mail client?

2. Does Evolution have a size limit on any of the files (Inbox, Sent, etc.)
it uses? Some of mine exceed 4GB -- the smaller ones on the order of 1 GB
are easy to manipulate and work properly. The larger ones invariably have
indexing issues, and I am unable to delete files from Trash. And yes, I do
intend to break up the large files once I get them in one place if it is
possible.  It is also possible that some of the entries have been corrupted.

3. Does the entry order in the Inbox (for example) make any difference? I
notice that even on files that can be manipulated, sometimes there are
indexing issues when sorting by date. This particular Inbox file has dates
that are not in order.

4. Does the Evolution file import function append the imported file to an
existing one, or does it overwrite the old file?

5. Is there a good editor for dealing with large files? I have tried to use
vi, and while it is able to read the file and search it (even if it is on
the order of 5 GB), deleting text from a location to the file beginning
resulted in a vi crash.

The system is FreeBSD Release 10.0, 64 bits, Mate 1.6.1, Evolution 2.32.1
(gnome keyring enabled) given 10 GB memory/300GB disk running in a VMware
Workstation 7.0 VM under Windows 7 (up-to-date) 64 bit computer with 20 GB
memory. Everything else on the FreeBSD system seems to work fine. I have
tried to use procmail/formail to clean the Inbox up without success.

Thank you in advance for your comments!