Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 22:31:51 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        David Ward <David@intelemedia.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what is the proper forum

David Ward wrote:

> for really really stupid beginner newbie type questions??

	Lesson number one. Write clear, complete sentences in proper english in
the body of your e-mail. Don't assume that everyone's mail reader makes
it easy to go back and look at your subject line to figure out what the
heck you're talking about. Oh, and the recent ressurection of the way
too cute references to "$subj" just has to stop.

	I'm not slamming you here, since you at least had the good sense to
ask. If you want to maximize your chances of getting help, make it easy
to help you. I scan about 800 messages a day (yes, I know others look at
more, you're just way cooler than I am) and if you don't catch my eye in
the first two lines of your message, you get deleted. I rarely look at
subject lines at all, since over the years I've had more luck with
scanning the message body. My conversations with other experienced
mailing list scanners have indicated that others use this same
technique.

	At the same time, I'm sure there are a lot of people who scan nothing
but subjects. C'est la vie. Since you asked, there is my opinion.

Good luck,

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.