Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:16:14 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   using a cd-r as a cd-rom drive, and a general cam question

Ok, I've got two questions here.  One is that I've got a machine that I've
got an older Pinnacle Micro rcd-1000 cd recorder.  This was one of the
early 2x recorders, from the time when they only reported themselves as
Type 4 devices, unlike most modern ones that report themselves as Type 5
devices which lets them be used as normal cd drives easily.  Is there any
way to get this drive to work using the cd driver under cam?  I don't have
any real need to use it as a cd recorder under freebsd, but being able to
read from it would be very useful.  Running camcontrol devlist shows me:
vision# camcontrol devlist
<SONY SDT-7000 0195>               at scbus0 target 2 lun 0 (sa0)
<PINNACLE RCD-1000 2.35>           at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (cd0)
But while booting cd0 is never listed in the boot messages (sa0 is
definitely listed there).  I also never seem to be able to mount anything
on it, getting device not configured errors (yes, I've made the /dev/cd
devices).

My other question is is there any document describing exactly what things
you need to enable in the config file for cam?  Obviously I need to enable
the driver for my scsi card, the sa driver for the tape drive, and the cd
driver for the cd drive, but what about the other ones?  Camcontrol seems
to require xpt, and there's also a pass device, but what are these and what
would you need them for?  The lint file doesn't seem to contain any info on
them, and there's no man pages for them.

Thanks

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu