Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:52:04 +0200
From:      Tim Priebe <tim@iafrica.com.na>
To:        thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr, Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr>, tim@iafrica.com.na
Cc:        "Jeffrey J. Libman" <jeffrl@wantabe.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multi-port ethernet cards

On Fri, 01 Oct 1999, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what is this "VLAN feature" of FreeBSD ? (IP aliasing ?)
>
> 	TfH

No, it is 802.1Q VLAN tagging. It is an extension to the Ethernet header, that
specifies which virtual LAN the packet belongs to. With a Switch that can
handel the 802.1Q standard, and is capable of enforcing that packets do not
cross to an other VLAN,  you can effectively have multiple network cards on
multipule networks, with only one network card.

The available documentation is quite sparse right now, but I have someone
preparing some web pages describing how to do it. It is actually quite simple,
if you want, I can send you a brief instruction, and a replacement for ifconfig
I was given.

Tim.