Date:      Tue, 01 Jul 2008 23:15:34 +0200
From:      Luc Hondareyte <lhondareyte@altern.org>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Midi device recognised, what now?

Le mercredi 18 juin 2008 à 01:45 +0200, Hans Petter Selasky a écrit :
> > On Tuesday 17 June 2008, bridd wrote:
> > > Ok, I've got a USB midi device (Edirol UM-1x), and dmesg lists it
> > >
> > > ugen0: <EDIROL UM-1, class 0/0, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 3> on uhub0
> > >
> > > I set jack up with the OSS back-end, but can't see my MIDI input from
> > > the edirol device.
> > >
> > > What now to connect it up to midi-capable applications ?  Is anyone else
> > > using midi in this way with BSD and having any success?
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been using USB MIDI on FreeBSD for a while using a Yamaha P140 Piano. I
> > plan to get some better support in there during the summer.
> >
> > Please contact me if you want more info.
> >
> > --HPS

Hi Hans,

I just test your snapshot with an MidiMan MidiSport2x2 interface, and it
works perfectly (no latency) on old PIII 500Mhz with fluidsynth.

First, you must download the firmware (from usbmidi package
http://homepage3.nifty.com/StudioBreeze/software/bin/usbmidi-20040829.tar.gz)
 with ezload (ports/misc/ezload), and devices /dev/midi0.0
to /dev/umidi0.f are ready to work.

Note that the "-x" option is required with ezdownload (?).

That doesn't works with official M-audio firmware: this version is split
in two files (bootloader + firmware), and ezload does not seem to know
to deal with that case.

Great job, Thanks!.

Luc.