Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 11:00:01 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        tsikora@powerusersbbs.com, Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-STABLE?

On Tue, 04 Apr 2000, Ted Sikora wrote:
> I wanted to upgrade several production servers to 4.0 and follow the
> stable branch. Has 4.0-STABLE been established yet or is stable still
> RELENG_3? I planned on installing 4.0-RELEASE and then using CVSup with
> RELENG_4.

Ignore "STABLE" and "CURRENT". The branches are RELENG_3,  RELENG_4, and . the
head branch. You can follow any of them that you wish.

Hopefully the FreeBSD team will eventually learn to use database concepts in
their naming conventions. If they did, "stable" and "current" would be aliases
to the invariant name of the underlying development branch.

A few years back, "the wife of the President of the United States" was
"Barbara". Now it is "Hillary".  But in a proper database, you don't store
it that way { WifeOf(Office) ==> Lady } and have to change it when the elections
roll around.
Instead you store:
WifeOf (Politician) ==> Lady
and
Officeholder (Office) ==> Politician

That way, when the election rolls around, you simply change the Officeholders
and the rest is automatic.

In the case of FreeBSD, when you change the release status ...