Date:      09 Nov 96 10:27:55 EST
From:      Berend de Boer <100120.3121@CompuServe.COM>
To:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Intel Atlantis board problems

Hello All,

We had some severe problems installing FreeBSD 2.1.5 from the Walnut Creet CD
Rom on an Intel Atlantis board (AS/Advanced it's called now).

One of the options its bios has is that it recognizes IDE cd-roms. That gives
nice results when installing FreeBSD on the 2nd hard-drive (at least I think
that is the problem).

This system has two ide hd controllers. The first controller has an 1GB IDE and
a CD-rom attached, the 2nd controller has a 2GB IDE drive. When installing
FreeBSD on the 2nd harddrive drive it thinks it is installing on wd2. After
installation, when you reboot, you reboot the kernel with wd(2,a)/kernel. The
kernel loads fine, however at the end of the boot process it tries to mount root
on wd1.

I'm not sure who's to blame here, but I think this is going to be a common
problem with PnP boards??

OK, next we installed on the first drive. Installation went ok.

Now if you try to boot you get the ':' prompt. If you press Enter it reboots. If
you type wd(0,a)/kernel it boots fine.

Luckily we have the source (and some spare time). Here some info printed by the
openrd function in sys.c:

If you press Enter after the ':' prompt you get:

	dosdev=3b, biosdrive=59, unit=59, maj=2

(and the system reboots spontanuously)

If you enter 'wd(0,a)/kernel' it says:

	dosdev=80, biosdrive=0, unit=0, maj=0

(and boots fine)

We tracked this problem down until the boot function in boot.c. It has a drive
parameter with value 0x333b. The fix is easy: add a line drive = 0x80; as the
first line of boot()...

Can someone help us further? We are trying to figure out who is calling boot
with this strange parameter. But if someone has that information or a pointer to
where we can find that information that would be nice.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-: