Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:28:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/boot/alpha/common main.c src/sys/boot/al

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Now that I think about it, its obvious that this is caused by Matt's
> > change to the load address of /boot/loader which in retrospect was a bad
> > move since it hoses people who do a 'make world' without
> > relabelling. Actually we should probably back that out since potentially
> > many people could lose with that one in a way which is difficult to fix
> > without a full reinstall.
>
> Forgive the silly question, but is there any reason that boot1 doesn't
> read the load address from the loader object?

On alpha, /boot/loader is just a binary (the headers have been stripped
off). When I wrote it, I didn't think I would be able to squeeze an ELF
loader into the space available. Currently there are 280 bytes spare -
probably not enough.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160