Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:54:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        wilko@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org, mjacob@feral.com
Subject:   Re: More followup...

On 13-Jun-01 Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> This is different than Wilko's panic.  At least with my kernel, it
> maps to this:

It would be helpful to know what the actual trap is.  Sticking a 'printtrap' in
at the top of trap to output the trap details would be very helpful.

> (gdb) l * hardclock+0x308
> 0xfffffc000043a608 is in hardclock (../../kern/kern_clock.c:215).
> 210              * Process callouts at a very low cpu priority, so we don't
> keep the
> 211              * relatively high clock interrupt priority any longer than
> necessary.
> 212              */
> 213             mtx_lock_spin(&callout_lock);
> 214             ticks++;
> 215             if (TAILQ_FIRST(&callwheel[ticks & callwheelmask]) != NULL) {
> 216                     need_softclock = 1;
> 217             } else if (softticks + 1 == ticks)
> 218                     ++softticks;
> 219             mtx_unlock_spin(&callout_lock);
>

> This is well past Wilko's tlaser panic & looks like it could be a sign
> of the general pmap corruption brought on by the vm_mtx fiasco....
> I'll have to push a machine here hard today an see where it blows up
> for me.

I don't think it's general pmap corruption, but I could be wrong.  Almost
everything is back under Giant that wasn't before.  My current vm.patch moves
pagedaemon and vmdaemon back under Giant, so the only thing that possibly
should move back under Giant is the stuff in trap() that was under Giant
before.  I'll look at this in a bit.  The thing is that if we still have these
problems when all of vm is under Giant, then it's not a vm_mtx problem. :(