Date:      Mon, 07 Dec 98 13:42:37 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <lists@tar.com>
To:        "emulation@freebsd.org" <emulation@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   linux_pipe, broken?

Is the pipe call in linux emulation (linux_pipe) broken?

I've been experimenting with getting linux threads running in
linux emulation mode.  Linux threads creates a thread manager
thread and uses a pipe to communicate requests for thread
creation and termination to the thread manager.  It appears
that the thread manager gets corrupted data when it reads
from the pipe.  The thread manager thread appears to be
created ok, and hangs when it gets a bad address in data
read from the pipe (why it doesn't seg fault is beyond me --
the address it gets in the data is 0x4, which happens to be
the fd of the write end of the pipe, the read end is 0x3).

Also, I tried getting StarOffice 5.0 running, and the setup
program seg faults immediately after executing a pipe call,
before linux threads is started.