Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 17:49:44 -0700
From:      DAve <dave@pixelhammer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        seafug@dub.net
Subject:   Re: (off Topic)Two drives on primary controller

Seafug and FreeBSD-questions,

Well, fantastic! I have TWO! hdd on my new nat box(Dell). Funny thing but I
stumbled onto the solution completely by accident. In my numerous attempts
changing jumpers, cable order, etc, I had rebooted without connecting the
drives. When I went to the bios to change the settings from 'auto' to 'user
defined', they were empty. I entered the proper settings for cyl,sec,hd and
rebooted. TaDa!  both drives were found.

I just tried it again with a different slave drive and the same thing
happened. Evidently 'auto' doesn't mean 'everytime the bios starts', just
when new hardware is installed. If the hardware is changed, the bios doesn't
notice. I had not read this anywhere, grrrrrrrr........  FBSD is installing
now and I'll soon move my /etc files over to this new box and get it ready
for mail/dns/firewall duty.

Now, for the Fileserver (Gateway), John U. came over and quickly identified
the bios as too old to recognize the drives. I have an abit board to replace
it (I need the giant Gateway case for all the wunnerful open bays) but no
ATX power supply, which I will round up soon. Many thanks John for the quick
tutorial on DMA, large drives, bus speeds, etc. I know what I have and how
to get to where I want to be. I'm changing the mb now as FBSD installs on
the Dell.

Thanks to everyone, the fbsd-questions list has sent some good info
including a short story on how IDE works, I'm keeping that e-mail handy.

DAve.

--
"On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at
 the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting -- died"