Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 10:33:18 +0900
From:      itojun@iijlab.net
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gif tunnel woes

>> 	my preference is to dropp support for multi-destination mode from
>> 	gif(4), as the multi-destination behavior is violating network layering
>> 	(rt_gateway is in inner header, and gif(4) multi-destination mode
>> 	uses it to determinte outer header).
>
>There's certainly a bunch of NBMA network media out there.  The problem is
>abusing the routing table next hop as a way to specify the remote
>tunnel endpoint.  This should be an attribute of the gif interface,
>configured outside of the routing infrastructure.  Or, perhaps treated
>like ARP for ethernet; it's just an accident that the "MAC" address for
>a multi-point NBMA tunnel is an IPv4/IPv6 address.

	well, in the case of ARP entries, you know that it is a layer-2
	address (MACaddress) on rt_gateway because it is tagged as AF_LINK.
	for the routing entries used by gif multi desination mode, rt_gateway
	field is not distinguishable (if it is outer addr or inner addr).
	also i guess it unsuitable to compare with NBMA networks, as with
	most of the NBMA networks i guess rt_gateway field takes an AF_LINK
	sockaddr, not an AF_INET.

itojun