Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 07:52:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -newbies

> Rick, do you think that all technical questions should be forbidden
> from this list?  IMHO, I think a logical approach would be to allow
> certain questions, depending on their scope.  For example, someone

	Not only to I think so, they ARE forbidden as stated in the First
Aid Kit.

> proclaims they are new to FreeBSD and wants to know how to list
> the contents of a directory.  A simple response would instruct them
> to use the "ls" command and also suggest they take a look at "man ls".
> I don't think there would be any risk of someone trashing their system
> with the "ls" command.  All other questions, of a higher technical scope,
> could be politely directed to questions.  Would this type of approach
> be too difficult to manage?

	On this I happen to agree with you, sorta. I personally have no
problems with anyone telling someone else to use the ls command, or
similiar things. A real Newbie just won't know that. But again, I think
it's technically off topic.

> I have taken this approach in the past.  If someone asks a simple question
> and I'm 100% sure of the answer and am positive that my response won't
> cause the person to inflict damage to their system, I answer their question
> and also tell them where they can find more information.  If the question
> is something like, how to configure a firewall or DNS, I kindly direct them
> to -questions and may include references to related publications and/or
> other resources.

	That historically has been how a lot of people try to answer
questions. The problem being is that somehow, somewhere Freebsd-newbies
once got on a list as THE place to ask FreeBSD related questions. It
sounds to me like it is still on this list. That is one of the reasons a
name change would be a good idea.

> Even though the thread (re: BSD Magazine (Advertiser Responses) that
> I started on -newbies may have been appropriate, the length of this thread
> became irritating for some and as a result, efforts were made to create a
> separate list for this topic.  BTW - I plan to withhold future information I
> receive, re: this subject and only post info that is a lot more substantial.

	In my opinion, that thread happed just perfectly. It got moved
when it got offtopic/irratating. Started out very much on topic for
-newbies, and was really quite informative. I believe that since a newbie
to the FreeBSD project can not contribute with coding and/or in questions
(very well,) we should be dealing with advocacy and promotion
issues. Heck, I carry a couple copies of the CDROM around in my car to
give to people! :)

> Maybe it would help if Sue's "FreeBSD Newbies First Aid Kit" was
> posted more often?  Maybe regular subscribers to this list, such as
> myself, could take a more active role in moderating it?  Maybe there
> is a valid need for a name change for this list?  Maybe all of the
> above?

	Yes, we should all do this. We should all take a much more active
role in managing newbie "affairs" :) And, the more I think about it, the
more I believe a name change would help not just us, but the whole FreeBSD
project also. I'm still pushing for something like newbie-issues rather
then newbie-chat. I also believe that this list can once again serve as a
valuable resource for the FreeBSD project in general and shouldn't be
removed. But in it's current form I believe that it's hurting more then
helping.

> It sounds like, to me, that moderating this list has become a tough job
> and maybe, if a consensus was reached among the current moderators
> and regular subscribers, as to the content, there could be a team effort
> to make things better for everyone?

	Yes, we also should try to get the -newbies Web Page updated...
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies. There is a link to it off the
main page. Some of you may have also noticed my new signature...
heorot.1nova.com/freebsd is a list of Newbie related links and help sites
that I got tired of typing in all the time... :) (Which I'll be glad for
any submissions/suggestions.) I would like to make it "the" site refered
to on this group, instead of giving everyone four or five links to look
at, they can bookmark just one. :)

					Rick