Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:01:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lukas Ertl <le@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alex Hoff <ahoff@sandvine.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Growfs and extremely large drives

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Alex Hoff wrote:

> Hi, We are working on a RAID0 setup (Adaptec 2200s) with 2 x 140G hard
> drives on freebsd 5.2 .If we add another 10 drives to the raid and
> reconfigure the raid to utilize the entire disk space, growfs will not
> complete when its run.

growfs needs a serious rewrite.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to
really look at it.

> The error can be traced back to this check in growfs.c
> if (inumber < ROOTINO || inumber > maxino)
> 		errx(8, "bad inode number %d to ginode", inumber);

I know this error very well.  I can trigger it even on smaller drives when
growing the FS so much that the cylinder summary needs to be relocated
because it won't fit into one block anymore.  Surprisingly, I can then run
an fsck and growfs again and it works.

cheers,
le

--