Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 04:28:21 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-19980930-BETA, Tyan TomCat II Dual P5-166 is having problems

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 09:02:10AM -0600, Steve Passe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > If I bring the system up in single CPU mode, everything is fine.
> > Starting up SMP, I get the message that the MP table is broken, routing
> > via pin 0. The person who gave me the board, said he had it working with
> > an earlier snap shot and Linux and it was reporting "routing via pin 2"
> > (at least under Linux, he can't remember FreeBSD).
> >
> > The system comes up, but then I get 20-25% of the CPU time eaten by
> > interrupts, everytime the IRQ of the fxp card. There is no traffic
> > going out and almost no traffic coming in (a few broadcasts).
> >
> > systat -vmstat reports 28,000 to 40,000 interrupts on the IRQ of the
> > network card.
> >
> > Any idea what is broken ?
>
> the "MP table is broken, routing via pin 0" line refers to the routing of the
> 8254 clock INT.  If this is getting mis-routed (ie left floating) it might
> generate copious INTs.  Try removing the network card, then boot.  If you
> still get the INTs look at the pin 0 vs. pin 2 issue.  If they go away it
> probably is something about the network card.
>
> Post the output of the 'mptable' program to the smp list.

Ok, I moved the Intel card from slot 4 to slot 2 and the IRQs got
swapped (GFX had 17, now 19. Fxp had 19, now 17). No more problems
with the amount of interrupts.

Mptable:

MPTable, version 2.0.15

MP Floating Pointer Structure:

  location:                     BIOS
  physical address:             0x000f5a60
  signature:                    '_MP_'
  length:                       16 bytes
  version:                      1.4
  checksum:                     0xc3
  mode:                         Virtual Wire

MP Config Table Header:

  physical address:             0x000f5a74
  signature:                    'PCMP'
  base table length:            396
  version:                      1.1
  checksum:                     0x3a
  OEM ID:                       'OEM00000'
  Product ID:                   'PROD00000000'
  OEM table pointer:            0x00000000
  OEM table size:               0
  entry count:                  28
  local APIC address:           0xfee00000
  extended table length:        0
  extended table checksum:      0

MP Config Base Table Entries:

--
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    Flags
                 0       0x11    BSP, usable     5       2       1       0x07bf
                 1       0x11    AP, usable      5       2       1       0x07bf
--
Bus:            Bus ID  Type
                 0       PCI
                 1       ISA
--
I/O APICs:      APIC ID Version State           Address
                 2       0x11    usable          0xfec00000
--
I/O Ints:       Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
                ExtINT   conforms    conforms        1     0          2    0
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     1          2    1
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     0          2    2
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     3          2    3
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     4          2    4
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     5          2    5
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     6          2    6
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     7          2    7
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     8          2    8
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     9          2    9
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    10          2   10
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    11          2   11
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    12          2   12
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    13          2   13
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    14          2   14
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    15          2   15
                INT     active-lo       level        0  20:A          2   16
                INT     active-lo       level        0  19:A          2   17
                INT     active-lo       level        0  18:A          2   18
                INT     active-lo       level        0  17:A          2   19
                SMI      conforms    conforms        1     0          2   23
--
Local Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
                ExtINT   conforms    conforms        0   0:A        255    0

# SMP kernel config file options:

# Required:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

# Optional (built-in defaults will work in most cases):
#options                NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options                NBUS=2                  # number of busses
#options                NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options                NINTR=24                # number of INTs

Dmesg:

FreeBSD 3.0-19980930-BETA #2: Thu Oct  1 23:19:57 PDT 1998
    root@PacHell.TelcoSucks.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/PACHELL-SMP
Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz  cost 2553 ns
CPU: Pentium/P54C (586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x52c  Stepping=12
  Features=0x3bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,APIC>
real memory  = 67108864 (65536K bytes)
avail memory = 62681088 (61212K bytes)
Programming 24 pins in IOAPIC #0
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor motherboard
 cpu0 (BSP): apic id:  0, version: 0x00030010, at 0xfee00000
 cpu1 (AP):  apic id:  1, version: 0x00030010, at 0xfee00000
 io0 (APIC): apic id:  2, version: 0x00170011, at 0xfec00000
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0: <Intel 82439> rev 0x01 on pci0.0.0
chip1: <Intel 82371SB PCI to ISA bridge> rev 0x00 on pci0.7.0
vga0: <Matrox MGA 1024SG graphics accelerator> rev 0x03 int a irq 19 on pci0.17.
0
fxp0: <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 0x05 int a irq 17 on pci0.19
.0
fxp0: Ethernet address 00:a0:c9:e8:b4:2a
ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x01 int a irq 16 on pci0.20.0
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: CTL0070 [0x70008c0e] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: PNPb02f [0x2fb0
d041]
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
psm0 at 0x60-0x64 irq 12 on motherboard
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
Intel Pentium F00F detected, installing workaround
APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
APIC_IO: Broken MP table detected: 8254 is not connected to IO APIC int pin 2
APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 on pin 0
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

I am getting the same APIC_IO message with and without the fxp card.

--
Regards, Ulf.